[Haskell-cafe] Re: Cabal's default install location

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 03:48:31 EDT 2009

The results in the poll seem to have stabilised now, so I'll tell you
what happened...

For user installs: 103
For global installs: 52
Others: 9

Interesting Ideas:
  • Claus made the suggestion that there be no default, instead that
cabal asks you which you prefer the first time you run, or directs you
to the configuration file.
  • Many users made the suggestion that cabal should install globally
when running as root, and for a user when running as a user, possibly
also displaying a prominent message about what's going on.

Most people do indeed want user installs, but a very much not
insignificant population want global installs.  Perhaps one of these
other suggestions is the way forward?

p.s. I personally very much like Claus' idea.