[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC) -- first release

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Apr 23 01:02:01 EDT 2009

> It's irrelevant, because I _do_ have root access to my machine,

How nice to be you.
Since the argument is entirely about people who _don't_,
your point it?

It is clear that the only sensible default is no default.
Someone else has said it recently and said it much better.

> I think the right question is "how many people prefer user installs
> over system installs, wrt. their hackage packages?".

No, because the costs are asymmetric.

> Endusers, of course, might have other preferences, but cabal doesn't
> (IMHO) cater to them, directly: It caters to distribution packages (or
> windows installers, or whatever), so cabal's default behaviour is
> quite
> irrelevant for those cases.

The clear impression I've received on this mailing list
is that cabal is _also_ for people who are using Haskell
and find that there's a new package reported in HWN that
they'd like to have.  If you are now telling me that I
should ignore it because I'm not making distribution
packages or Windows installers, fine, just tell me what
to use instead.