[Haskell-cafe] Non-atomic "atoms" for type-level programming

Tillmann Rendel rendel at cs.au.dk
Wed Apr 22 08:33:45 EDT 2009

Hi Claus,

thanks for your elaborations. I'm still not convinced that a common name
(e.g. TT :. Tr :. Tu :. Te) is a better interface than a common import
(e.g. TypeLevel.Bool.True). In both cases, the authors of all modules
have to actively collaborate, either to define common names, or to
define common imports.

But I begin to see how type-level atoms could help to, e.g., implement
more advanced module system as type-level embedded DSLs in Haskell.

> Standard ML's answer to that kind of issue is type sharing.

Does type sharing help with making modules retroactively compatible?

   Tillmann