[Haskell-cafe] Functor and Haskell

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Apr 21 21:40:07 EDT 2009

List is not a full subcategory of Hask, so it's a bad choice. Namely,
types of functions on a list (e.g. [a] -> [a]) are not themselves lists
of type [b] for some b, and so are not objects of List (though they are
morphisms in it). In Hask, ([a] -> [a]) is both an object and a morphism
(in fact, there is a unique object in Hask for every morphism).

It turns out (I believe) that the smallest subcategory that fits the
Haskell Functor type class is Hask itself. That doesn't mean that the
functor is epic: (Int -> Int) is not the type of (fmap f) for any f.

So C and D are the same category: Hask.

Take a look at:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Category_theory#Functors