[Haskell-cafe] Re: breaking too long lines

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 18:16:52 EDT 2009

> according the several style guides, lines shouldn't be too long
> (longer than 78 characters).

Since Haskell is usually nice to parse, wouldn't it be
interesting to replace a pretty printer program for layout
manuals? I saw in your first link that the teacher provided
a tool to check for non-compliant layout, but wouldn't it
be easier to provide a pretty-printer (with line size as one
parameter to the command line)?

(By the way, I once saw in a latex tutorial that some research
found that 66 letters was a good standard for running text
readability. I was never able to find such research, it wasn't
properly quoted in that tutorial, but I adopted 66 as a parameter
to 'fmt' when writing messages and Haskell code.)

Best,
Maurício