[Haskell-cafe] Comments from two weeks of using Leksah

Jeff Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:06:48 EDT 2009

I've been using the latest and greatest version of leksah for the last
couple of weeks and I wanted to give a short report on the things I've
found.

First of all, it's crashed only once, and the error was an actual
segfault, so I'm not sure what went wrong there.  All in all, I like
the eyecandy and have left it on for everything I do, but I've noticed
that arrows have an extra space after them, no matter which arrow.
Also, the candy for =<< and >>= is the same.

Only one "missing feature" that I've noticed: regex find and replace.
I'd like very much to be able to find and replace using regexes, as
this is pretty much why I keep coming back to vi and emacs.

I really really like the modules pane which gives me quick views into
the doc of everything that's installed and the signatures.  I wonder,
though, could it be limited to the packages made available by the
dependencies in configuring the current working package?  That way, it
would be easy to tell whether a dependency was missing.

I wonder if there's a way to setup the preferences so that
autocomplete can be accelerator based (like Ctrl+Space) instead of
constantly on, because I've noticed that occasionally I'll hit enter
at the end of a line and have it autocorrect my last identifier
incorrectly.  It'd be kind of neat if the error lines from the
continuous background build showed up highlighted in the editor in
some way, like they do in oh say Eclipse, but that's just a nice
feature.

Only other feature i'd like to see added is the ability to have
multiple packages open at once, allow them to depend on each other,
and handle configuring, building, and installing each of them be a
one-step process.

That's about it.  For large projects, very neat and very useful!  I like it.

-- Jeff