[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is 78 characters still a good option? Was: breaking too long lines

Dusan Kolar kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Apr 21 10:38:40 EDT 2009

> The longer a line the more difficult it is to move the focus to the
> beginning of the next line when reading.

Hmm, then I must be doing something wrong, I do not fully fill program
lines... ;-)
Or my comments are too short. I do not think, this is an issue, to catch
the next line, if the program text is well structured...
Nevertheless, I do understand this is a force to make the text structured...
> Therefore wide news papers use columns. Also consider source code
> printed on paper.

I do not remember when I did that. But if anybody does then it is a reason.

>> Or is the reason much deeper? Or, is the bound set to 78 characters just
>> because it is as good number as any other?
>>

> Unlimited length (as for plain text) would be an option if automatic
> wrapping wouldn't destroy the layout.

Yes, yes...
Anyway, I don't like 1024 characters one-liners anyway. ;-) :-)

Dušan