[Haskell-cafe] FRP, integration and differential equations.

jean-christophe mincke jeanchristophe.mincke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:49:08 EDT 2009

Peter, Paul,

>But my question is, is FRP really the right setting in which to
>explore a highly accurate ODE solver?

>Well, solving the ODE is usually the task of a dedicated physics engine.
But IMHO with FRP we try to reuse >small building blocks so we get very
modular systems; a big physics black box seems to be against this principle?

I believe it is a good question. My answer is why not. In fact when I
discovered FRP I liked the way systems could be constructed from building
blocks as Peter says. I have a previous experience in designing simulators
for complex  dynamic systems and I often had to find solutions to build
simulators from a smal set of building blocks and still keep an adequate
accuracy.

Doing so often leads to ODEs of the form:

de/dt = f (de/dt, e, t)

It is often possible to solve such ODE providing that we make some
reasonable physical assumptions on the de/dt term appearing in f(). This
comes with an acceptable decrease in accuracy. But modelling physical
systems is always a matter of trade-off...

Thus, a big physic black box containing large monolithic set of equations is
not always needed.

Regards

J-C