Is 78 characters still a good option? Was: [Haskell-cafe] breaking too long lines

Dusan Kolar kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Apr 21 08:33:56 EDT 2009

Dear all,

  reading that

> according the several style guides, lines shouldn't be too long
> (longer than 78 characters).
>
> http://www.cs.caltech.edu/courses/cs11/material/haskell/misc/haskell_style_guide.html
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Programming_guidelines

I would like to know, whether 78 characters bound still makes a sense...
Even if I connect to my linux box with text terminal, it is not a 80x24
characters HW text terminal, but a window emulating this in whatever
else OS, thus, I can usually extend this to see longer lines easily.

Or is the reason much deeper? Or, is the bound set to 78 characters just
because it is as good number as any other?

Regards,

  Dušan