[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC) -- first release

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 00:52:02 EDT 2009

Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>> However, the point here is surely that the de-facto default for all
>> other downloaded programs - standard makefile setups, automake,
>> autoconf, perl package, python packages, graphic installers like
>> firefox - is do to what cabal calls a 'global' install by default.
>
> The assumption here seems to be that everyone owns their own machine
> or has a system adminstrator with large amounts of free time on their
> hands.  Just because a lot of other people are doing something crazy
> doesn't mean we have to copy them.

No.

It's not an assumption, it's a default.

No one is assuming anything. Both options are available.

The point I was making, which is scarcely important enough to bother
explaining again, is that having the same *default* as other software is
a virtue.

In point of fact, I'm sure that a larger proportion of haskell users
have their own machine than don't.

Jules