[Haskell-cafe] Petr Ročkai's darcs project accepted for Haskell GSoC

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Apr 20 18:36:24 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm pleased to announce that Petr Ročkai's project on optimising darcs
has been accepted for Google Summer of Code.

More details can be found here:
  http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/haskell

Petr's project fits into an ongoing effort by the darcs community to
improve our performance so that one day we will able to recommend darcs
for medium sized and larger projects.  Until early 2008, we have been
focused on darcs 2: which provides the darcs 2 theory (to solve most of
the exponential merge problems), and also the "hashed" format
repositories (including darcs 2).

The project for this summer will allow us to complete the work on hashed
repositories.  In their current state, hashed format repositories make
darcs a lot more robust and also allow us to fetch repositories faster
(with darcs get --lazy and with a global patch cache).  But in their
current form, hashed repositories can can also slow down day-to-day
operations like darcs whatsnew and darcs record.  Petr has identified
the cause of these delays has provided a work plan which we think will
get hashed storage right.  If his project is successful, future versions
of darcs should make operations like darcs record and whatsnew much more
comfortable in practice.

Congratulations and good luck to Petr!  And many thanks to the darcs and
Haskell communities for their support.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9