[Haskell-cafe] Using GHC as an arrows preprocessor?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:32:35 EDT 2009

I'm making some custom arrows and I'm getting bugs when using the GHC
preprocessor, but not when using the old standalone preprocessor.
In order to debug this, it would be nice to use GHC as an arrows
preprocessor (so converting the arrow notation into plain Haskell and
outputting the converted source code); is this possible?

I also noticed that GHC's builtin preprocessor generates far more
intermediate combinators than the old preprocessor. The benchmark in this
paper <http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/hl293/download/NEPLS-talk.pdf> seems to
confirm this. Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
Peter