[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC) -- first release

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 07:09:17 EDT 2009

>> I don't understand what makes user installs more convenient.
>> Certainly,
>> my preference would be for global all the time – I expect something
>> that
>> says it's going to "install" something to install it onto my
>> computer,
>> like any other installation program does.  What is it that makes user
>> installs more convenient in this situation?
>
> You don't need 'sudo' access for user installs. This means that 'cabal
> install' works out of the box on every system, without needing
> admin/root privs (esp. important for students).

But students will be used to needing to configure this – in every
other installation system out there they need to tell it to install in
their user directory.  Personally – I find it more convenient to have
the "install" program do what it says it does! Install it!

This would save confusion about old tools that do things globally, and
not confuse students, because they're all already used to giving extra
flags to make install not install things system wide.

Bob