[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC) -- first release

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:38:25 EDT 2009

On 18 Apr 2009, at 22:44, Antoine Latter wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM,  <atze at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>>            Utrecht Haskell Compiler -- first release, version 1.0.0
>>            ========================================================
>>

>> The UHC team is happy to announce the first public release of the
>> Utrecht Haskell Compiler (UHC). UHC supports almost all Haskell98
>> features plus many experimental extensions. The compiler runs on
>> MacOSX,
>> Windows (cygwin), and various Unix flavors.
>>
>> Features:
>>
>>  * Multiple backends, including a bytecode interpreter backend and a
>>    GRIN based, full program analysing backend, both via C.
>>
>>  * Experimental language extensions, some of which have not been
>>    implemented before.
>>
>>  * Implementation via attribute grammars and other high-level tools.
>>
>>  * Ease of experimentation with language variants, thanks to an
>>    aspect-oriented internal organisation.
>>

>> Getting started & Download
>> --------------------------
>>
>> UHC is available for download as source distribution via the UHC home
>> page:
>>
>>        http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/UHC
>>
>> Here you will also find instructions to get started.
>>

>> Status of the implementation
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> Like any university project UHC is very much work in progress. We
>> feel
>> that it is mature and stable enough to offer to the public, but much
>> work still needs to be done; hence we welcome contributions by
>> others.
>>
>> UHC grew out of our Haskell compiler project (called Essential
>> Haskell
>> Compiler, or EHC) over the past 5 years. UHC internally is
>> organised as
>> a combination of separate aspects, which makes UHC very suitable to
>> experiment with; it is relatively easy to build compilers for
>> sublanguages, or to generate related tools such as documentation
>> generators, all from the same code base. Extensions to the language
>> can
>> be described separately, and be switched on or of as need arises.
>>

>> Warning
>> -------
>>
>> Although we think  that the compiler is stable enough to compile
>> subtantial Haskell programs, we do not recommend yet to use it for
>> any
>> serious development work in Haskell. We ourselves use the GHC as a
>> development platform! We think however that it provides a great
>> platform
>> for experimenting with language implementations, language extensions,
>> etc.
>>

>> Mailing lists
>>

>> Bug reporting
>> -------------
>>
>> Please report bugs at:
>>
>>        http://code.google.com/p/uhc/issues/list
>>

>> The UHC Team
>>

>> --
>> Atze Dijkstra, Department of Information and Computing Sciences. /|\
> [...]

This looks like the same error I got – see bug report 1 in the bug
database – the configure script reports that you have uuagc even if
you don't – cabal install it, reconfigure, and you should be on your
way.

Second thing to watch for – it depends on fgl, but this isn't caught
by the configure script.

Thanks

Bob