[Haskell-cafe] Re: How the following works

Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente magnicida at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 15:37:08 EDT 2009

I don't know if the following explanation seems too basic or redundant
to you, I'm sorry if that is the case, but it might help if you don't
understand high order functions very well:

In my description of the declarative meaning of the definition I
understood this: "map (x:) (cinits xs)" as add the element 'x' in the
front of every element (int this case, the elements are lists) of the
list returned by (cinit xs)

Thing of (:) as a function:
(:) :: a -> [a] -> [a]

That appends its first argument in the front of the list given as a
second argument.

Then (x:) is a function with type:
(x:) :: [a] -> [a]

It is a function that appends to a fixed element x to a given list. As
"map f list" returns a new list that is the result of applying f to
every element of "list", assuming "list" is a list of lists, "map (x:)
list" returns a new list that has 'x' in the front of every element.

An example:
map (1:) [[2], [3], [4]]
Prelude> map (1:) [[2], [3], [4]]

Because:
map f [[2], [3], [4]] = [f [2], f [3], f [4]]

So let f = (x:) then:

JP