[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Elerea, another FRP library

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 15 03:42:07 EDT 2009

> I don't think using dirty tricks to implement FRP deserves
> flak, at all, from my POV, it sounds like complaining that the
> IO monad is implemented using C... meaning that if you're that
> close to bare thunks, you have every right to use any means
> necessary to make them behave properly.
Dirtiness is not the problem, but the fact that it can leak out at the
present moment. I want guarantees to exclude the possibility of
undesired behaviour on the user side. Am I right thinking that the
NOINLINE pragma on unsafeDupablePerformIO prevents the problem of
multiple evaluation discussed yesterday? Or should I add NOINLINE to
primitives in Elerea.Internal too? If that guaranteed sharing, it would
certainly solve most of the problems we talked about. Apart from that,
I'm still not sure that latching works the way intended all the time,
but the fact that the breakout example works is an indication that at
least it's not hopelessly broken.

Gergely

                          wherever you are