[Haskell-cafe] Converting IO [XmlTree] to [XmlTree]

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:12:02 EDT 2009

Here's another way of looking at what others have already said. The only way
you can do that is within the scope of another IO action. For example:
outputXmlTrees :: IO ()
outputXmlTrees = do
  trees <- inputXmlTrees;
  let newTrees = transform trees;
  print . show $ newTrees

Notice a few things:

   -   First, the line "trees <- inputXmlTrees" effectively takes an IO
   [XmlTree] and turns it into a [XmlTrees]. That is, it runs the IO action
   inputXmlTrees, and gives you the resulting list of XmlTrees to work with.
   - You can then pass these off to a pure function which will monkey around
   with them in a pure (non-IO) context
   - You must do this in an IO action, however, and any monadic action gets
   its type from the last line. Thus, the last line must be of type IO
   something. In this case, it is simply the action that would print out the
   trees.
   - Thus, this gives you a way to glue together different IO actions and
   pure actions and combine them into larger IO actions

Hope this clarifies