[Haskell-cafe] Re: Best text editor

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 13 23:20:04 EDT 2009

> I'm a beginner, but I'll chime in and say I use Emacs with
> haskell-mode. It's auto-indentation is a bit complex in behavior which is
> unappealing (I feel like I never know what it's going to do when I hit tab),
> but I would be curious what someone with more experience feels about that.

I clearly recommend Emacs with haskell-mode, but I agree that the
indentation is problematic.  Note that the code in the CVS repository
comes with a completely new indentation algorithm courtesy of Kristof
Bastiaensen <kristof.bastiaensen at vleeuwen.org> (so you can now choose
between haskell-simple-indent, haskell-indent, and the new
haskell-indentation).  I haven't tried this new algorithm much, but
people who dislike haskell-indent might want to give it a try.

        Stefan