[Haskell-cafe] Re: Referential Transparency and Monads

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 21:07:34 EDT 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 3:17:39 am Eugene Kirpichov wrote:
> Makes sense.
> The thing that is lacking to show difference between these two
> functions is that there is no way to 'erase' information from the
> world.
> T.i., even _|_ w' can't "really" be _|_, it must be a value that
> contains all the information from w'.
> _|_ w' /= _|_ is nonsense, thus a state monad does not suffice. I
> wonder what does...

At the very least, you could probably default to a term algebra. Then, loop is
still the value _|_, whereas loop' is more of a tree, like:

    loop' = PutStr "o" `Then` PutStr "o" `Then` PutStr "o" `Then` ...

Which is a well defined value in the same way that 'fix (1:)' is. And, of
course, the runtime interprets such trees to get the actual operation of your
program (add conceptual constructors to the tree as you add functionality to
the IO monad).

It's possible a continuation passing implementation might do the trick, too,
since loop' goes something like:

    f e k = putStr "o" $ \_ -> e k
    f _|_ = \k -> putStr "o" $ \_ -> _|_ k
          /= _|_

    loop' = fix f = \k -> putStr "o" $ \_ -> loop' k

although that is, perhaps, a naive implementation as far as the whole
semantics of IO are concerned (but then, so is World -> a * World). I haven't
thought hard about whether it's subject to similar problems.

Cheers,
-- Dan