[Haskell-cafe] compilation related questions

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 03:28:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

There was a 'I want to write a compiler' thread recently. I wonder if
there is such kind of pointers for compilation of strict functional
languages (perhaps with lazy evaluation annotations) . Although GRIN
is designed for lazy languages, would it be ok to use it for a strict
one (and leverage its thunk representation for the lazy part of the
language)? The 'whole program' optimization aspect is a plus.

On a related note, I have another question. Say we have some data
structure, for instance a list, some functions on this data structure
(probably defined with some well known functions, such as map or
fold), and a program using them. Is there any research trying to
rewrite the program, and the data structure, to optimize them ?

A contrived example is the length of a list : instead of traversing a
list to know its length, the list can have an additional field which
is incremented at each cons.

Thanks,
Thu