[Haskell-cafe] Debugging compile times (Template Haskell)

Henning Günther h.guenther at tu-bs.de
Thu Apr 9 09:01:21 EDT 2009

Hi,

as the author of the encoding package[1] I'm quite annoyed by the
extreeme long time it takes to compile a certain module (JISX0208). This
module uses template haskell to generate both a Map (Map Char
(Word8,Word8)) and an Array (UArray (Word8,Word8) Int) for character
conversion. The file has about 6000 entries and the generated array has
8649 entries. Generating the syntax for the array and map is very fast
(under a second) but compiling the code seems to take forever.
Is there any way to find out why that is the case? I've tried
pinpointing the problem but couldn't...

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/encoding