[Haskell-cafe] Re: Numeric Prelude and identifiers (Was: fad 1.0 -- Forward AutomaticDifferentiation library)

Kalman Noel noel.kalman at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:57:10 EDT 2009

Henning Thielemann schrieb:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Kalman Noel wrote:
>>  I'm wondering, too, if the Numeric Prelude could be organized more
>> cleanly if we had a fancier module system - does someone have
>> sufficient experience with, say, ML-style module systems to tell?
>
> Are you complaining about the organisation or about the identifiers? If
> you mean the former, then what organisation do you propose?

I'm not complaining, and I'm not sure what I mean :) I may like a scheme
where functions operating on a type or type class live in a module
seperate from the type (class) definition, so you could import a
specific module to get only, say, (Ring, (*), one, ...).  But that would
be too tedious in the Haskell hierarchical module system, which is why I
was asking about others.

> If you mean
> the latter ... Many proposals about extended import facilities I saw
> were complicated and could simply be avoided using the naming style I use.

I'm ready to believe you that the naming style you chose is optimal
within the hierarchical module system.

Regards,
Kalman