[Haskell-cafe] Monad transformer, liftIO

Michael Roth mroth at nessie.de
Fri Apr 3 14:07:19 EDT 2009

Creighton Hogg schrieb:

> Okay, so I think what you want is
>
>  [...]

Yes. Your solution works. Thank you. But:

>   a <- msum . map return $ [1,2,3]

Why Do I need this "msum . map return" thing?

The "map return" part is somewhat clear. But not entirely. Which
type of monad is created here?

The msum-part ist totally confusing me: First we create a list
with some monads (?) and then msum them? What is going on there?

> first, that you tried to use literal list syntax in
> do notation which I believe only works in the actual [] monad.

Is the "x <- xs" in the list monad a form of syntactic sugar?

>  Second, you didn't have the runListT acting on
> the foobar, which is how you go from a ListT IO Int to a IO [Int].

Ah, yes. This point I understood now. Thank you again.

Michael