[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hledger 0.4 released

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Fri Apr 3 02:26:36 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I have released hledger 0.4 on hackage. There is also a new website at http://hledger.org
  , with screenshots (textual!), a demo (will it survive!?), and docs
(not too many!) Release notes are at http://hledger.org/NEWS , and
bravely pasted below.

In case you forgot: hledger is a text-mode double-entry accounting
tool. It reads a plain text journal file describing your transactions
and generates precise activity and balance reports. I use it every day
to track money and time, and as the basis for client invoices and tax
returns. hledger is a partial clone, in haskell, of John Wiegley's
excellent ledger. I wrote it because I did not want to hack on c++ and
because haskell seemed a good fit.

Please cabal update and cabal install hledger and give it a whirl.
Install with the "-f happs" flag to enable the new happstack-based web
interface. I am sm on the #ledger channel on freenode, and I welcome
your feedback, especially if you notice a problem.

Best - Simon

2009/04/03 hledger 0.4 released

Changes:

         * new "web" command serves reports in a web browser (install
with -f happs to build this)
         * make the vty-based curses ui a cabal build option, which
will be ignored on MS windows
         * drop the --options-anywhere flag, that is now the default
         * patterns now use not: and desc: prefixes instead of ^ and ^^
         * patterns are now case-insensitive, like ledger
         * !include directives are now relative to the including file
(Tim Docker)
         * "Y2009" default year directives are now supported, allowing
m/d dates in ledger
         * individual transactions now have a cleared status
         * unbalanced entries now cause a proper warning
         * balance report now passes all ledger compatibility tests
         * balance report now shows subtotals by default, like ledger 3
         * balance report shows the final zero total when -E is used
         * balance report hides the final total when --no-total is used
         * --depth affects print and register reports (aggregating
with a reporting interval, filtering otherwise)
         * register report sorts transactions by date
         * register report shows zero-amount transactions when -E is
used
         * provide more convenient timelog querying when invoked as
"hours"
         * multi-day timelog sessions are split at midnight
         * unterminated timelog sessions are now counted. Accurate
time reports at last!
         * the test command gives better --verbose output
         * --version gives more detailed version numbers including
patchlevel for dev builds
         * new make targets include: ghci, haddocktest, doctest,
unittest, view-api-docs
         * a doctest-style framework for functional/shell tests has
been added
         * performance has decreased slightly:

                                         || hledger-0.3 | hledger-0.4
| ledger-0.3
           ==============================++==========
           -f sample.ledger balance      ||        0.02 |        0.01
|       0.07
           -f sample1000.ledger balance  ||        1.02 |        1.39
|       0.53
           -f sample10000.ledger balance ||       12.72 |       14.97
|       4.63

Contributors:

         * Simon Michael
         * Tim Docker
         * HAppS, happstack and testpack developers

Stats:

         * Known errors: 0
         * Commits: 132
         * Committers: 2