[Haskell-cafe] ZipList monad, anyone?

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 2 07:41:20 EDT 2009

> Yes, although you should use an actual infinite list type if you're
> depending on that.
I know, I just wanted to stick with the basic list type for the sake of
the discussion.

> In fact, the Stream package provides an infinite list type with
> Applicative and Monad instances.
I didn't know that, but now that I checked it out, it is indeed the same
thing.

> Really, you're better off just using Nat -> a. The primary advantage
> to using a list over a function is avoiding recomputation, but nothing
> is getting recomputed here.
Well, at least streams can be made efficient in the absence of bind, as
opposed to functions, but I see your point. After all, that's the
problem with bind: it receives a function, which has no visible internal
structure, so it can only grow as you combine it with other things...

Gergely