[Haskell-cafe] GSoC proposal

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 03:01:25 EDT 2009

2009/4/2 Csaba Hruska <csaba.hruska at gmail.com>:
> Abstract:
> The objective of this project is to create a useful, fast and feature rich
> 3D rendering engine in Haskell which supports advanced rendering features
> like level of detail, material state sorting, geometry instancing, scene
> handling, fast vertex buffer handling and so on. This would be beneficial
> for various applications, e.g. AI or virtual reality environments,
> simulation, games, and scientific applications.
> Current version available at http://code.google.com/p/lambdacube/
> Content:
>
> == Project Overview ==
>
> This project aims to be the first general purpose 3D rendering engine
> written in a pure functional language. There is no graphics library
> available for Haskell that would be suitable as a basis for a complex
> graphical program. My Haskell rendering engine (called Lambda Cube
> Engine) uses the same model and material format as Ogre3D
> (http://www.ogre3d.org). This choice is motivated by the fact that
> Ogre3D has well-designed mesh model and material formats, and it also
> provides exporter plugins for nearly every significant 3D modeling
> software (3DS-Max, Maya, XSI, Blender etc.). This design decision lets
> us reuse existing 3D content and Ogre3D exporter plugins with ease. My
> knowledge of the Ogre3D architecture will help in making correct
> design decisions during development.
>
> = Current State =
>
> The source code is surprisingly small considering the current feature
> list. The program consists of 9 small Haskell modules and 2 script
> scanner description files. It can load a model from Ogre XML format
> and it parses the material definition scripts. It prevents model and
> material duplication using a cache. However, the features implemented
> are still just a subset of what these files can describe.
>
> Here is a list of (mainly) partially working features:
>  - mesh loading from XML file
>  - parsing material script (see its format:
>   http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_14.html#SEC23)
>  - caching loaded data
>  - rendering data
>
> There is already an example available, which demonstrates all listed
> features. The example also uses Yampa FRP (Functional Rective
> Programming) library.
>
> One of the core ideas of the design was separating the high and
> low-level data representations. The high-level representation provides
> a convenient interface for the user and the low-level representation
> ensures efficient rendering on hardware.
>
> The Lambda Cube Engine depends on some (platform independent)
> libraries:
>  - OpenGL binding
>  - uulib - Utrecht Parser Combinator library used for script parsing
>  - HXT - Haskell XML Toolkit is used for reading XML representation of
>   mesh files. There is a more efficient binary version of the mesh
>   format that will be supported later.
>  - zip-archive - used for loading files from zip files. This helps
> [...]

Hi,

All this sounds very good but I'm not sure I understand the complete goal.

Is it more about rendering or (game) engine ? Ok, the title is Engine, but is
it more a library or a complete framework (with archive loading,
saving/load state, behaviors (ai, user interaction, ...), sound
placement, networking, ...) ?

You mention Yampa. Is it just for the example or do you plane to rely on it ?

What is the part of state-of-the-art rendering ? I'm not really aware
of all of this, but I think
current focus is on non-fixed pipeline (i.e. vertex and fragment
program), how is taken into account here ? By the OGRE material files
?

Or what about frustum culling and space partitioning ? Is it up to the
user of you code ?

Do you use an extant engine or scene graph library as inspiration ?

I'm sure I had other questions by reading your proposal but I forgot...

Anyway, this is very interesting and I wish you good luck, ... and success.

Cheers,
Thu