[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?

brian brianchina60221 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:31:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> That still leaves anyone free to use LGPL if they want to, but please
>> don't assume that it allows commercial use by all potential users.
>
> It *does* allow commercial use.  Your example just shows that some
> people may decide not to take advantage of it, based not on problematic
> restrictions but just on paranoia.

I was confused and worried about this subject lately, too; at some
point in the future, I may want to ship closed-source commercial
software that uses various LGPL libraries. But it doesn't seem to be
as big a problem as I imagined. My understanding is that I can satisfy
the requirements of the LGPL by dynamically linking, and that's
already happening. Is there something else to worry about? I'd be in
violation if I shipped something statically linked, but cabal doesn't
seem inclined to do that by default.