[Haskell-cafe] Total Functional Programming in Haskell

Mitchell, Neil neil.mitchell.2 at credit-suisse.com
Tue Sep 30 05:32:14 EDT 2008

> for little more than personal taste).   In particular, I'd like to see
> a reasoning framework for partial functions, so you could
> state and prove a property like:
>   length [1..] = _|_

In a compiler, with:

main = print $ length [1..]

Results in 2147483647

I don't think dependent types are the answer - or at least I don't think
people have asked the questions in standard Haskell enough. We still
don't even have an equational reasoning assistant publically available
and widely used.