[Haskell-cafe] Total Functional Programming in Haskell

Mitchell, Neil neil.mitchell.2 at credit-suisse.com
Tue Sep 30 03:51:29 EDT 2008

Hi

1) Total Functional Programming is great. But a combination of Approve
and Catch gives you termination and pattern-match safety checks for
Haskell, giving you all the advantages of TFP without forcing you to
write total patterns etc. Plus you can use all the Haskell tools.

In reality, neither of those tools is probably ready for prime time -
but neither is that far off. In the meantime something like Agda might
give you some of what you want.

2) We already have a IO outer layer (monad), and the checkers above
collapse the first 2 layers. Perhaps a "monadic" or annotated middle
layer would be handy for bits that the checkers can't validate.

The idea of |-> vs -> seems like encoding lots in the type system, which
seems to be going overboard. It might be a tool of last resort, but
you'd much rather eliminate the partial bits entirely.

As for optimisation, remember that closed terms are strongly
normalising, but that the compiler will almost certainly have to work on
open terms, which aren't. Things like partial evaluation might be easier
to do, but there is still technology from the 1970's (supercompilation)
that we've only just begun to apply to Haskell - so I don't think
termination of closed terms is pressing optimisation bottleneck.

Thanks

Neil