[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus F#, OCaml, et. al. ...

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Sep 30 02:46:34 EDT 2008

vigalchin:
>    Hello,
>
>           Frank mode on ... ;^) In terms of functionality, where is Haskell
>    superior vs inferior to ML, Caml, OCaml, F#, Erlang, etc.? E.g. in terms
>    of library functionality?

Without more information, all we can really do is an overview.

There's almost 800 Haskell libraries on hackage.haskell.org (millions of
lines of code). On average, 2 new libraries are released each day
(though 12 new libs were released in the last 24 hours). That's 700 new
libraries a year at the current rate.

If I visit Arch Linux, I find,

    602 Haskell libraries and tools,    http://tinyurl.com/3jxlpl

     21 OCaml libraries and tools,       http://tinyurl.com/4fl485

      7 Erlang libraries and tools,      http://tinyurl.com/54oj7u

      0 F# libraries and tools,          http://tinyurl.com/4v53pl

Of course, this is on Linux, and your distro may vary (and on Windows,
F# gets to use all the .NET libraries), but you get the idea.

One of the main themes that came out of the commercial users of FP
meeting last week,

    http://cufp.galois.com

was the need for languages to start building standard, blessed platforms
of libraries, and to encourage reuse. Haskell was in the nice position
of already having such a process underway,

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform

Enjoy!

-- Don