[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus F#, OCaml, et. al. ...

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Sep 30 02:46:34 EDT 2008

>    Hello,
>           Frank mode on ... ;^) In terms of functionality, where is Haskell
>    superior vs inferior to ML, Caml, OCaml, F#, Erlang, etc.? E.g. in terms
>    of library functionality?

Without more information, all we can really do is an overview.

There's almost 800 Haskell libraries on hackage.haskell.org (millions of
lines of code). On average, 2 new libraries are released each day
(though 12 new libs were released in the last 24 hours). That's 700 new
libraries a year at the current rate.

If I visit Arch Linux, I find,

    602 Haskell libraries and tools,    http://tinyurl.com/3jxlpl

     21 OCaml libraries and tools,       http://tinyurl.com/4fl485

      7 Erlang libraries and tools,      http://tinyurl.com/54oj7u

      0 F# libraries and tools,          http://tinyurl.com/4v53pl

Of course, this is on Linux, and your distro may vary (and on Windows,
F# gets to use all the .NET libraries), but you get the idea.

One of the main themes that came out of the commercial users of FP
meeting last week,

was the need for languages to start building standard, blessed platforms
of libraries, and to encourage reuse. Haskell was in the nice position
of already having such a process underway,

-- Don