[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Sep 30 02:38:38 EDT 2008

Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:

> So if you use LGPL for your Haskell libraries, all of which are
> currently statically linked and non-replaceable at runtime, it is
> unlikely any commercial Haskell house can use the code.

As already mentioned, you can ask the author nicely for a different
license - BSD for instance.  Or you can fix the dynamic linking issues
in GHC, as Duncan points out.  But you can also use it for *open
source* software (which is non-proprietary, but may still be
commercial).

I think LGPL works nicely for open source software - unlike the GPL,
which would force the entire program to be released under that
license, there should be no problem shipping a BSD- or MPL-licensed
program using an LGPL library, as long as source is available.

-k