[Haskell-cafe] Distributing Haskell binaries as OSX App Bundles

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 22:32:14 EDT 2008

> I wrote a command-line program recently for a friend in haskell.
> However, he's far away and not particularly computer literate.  I
> sent him the raw binaries, but they came up with errors about not
> being able to find libgmp stuff.  So then I thought I should
> probably be able to somehow distribute all the stuff together in
> a .app bundle.  However, the only experience I have of doing this
> sort of stuff before is via xcode.  What's the best way to go about
> this?  It just occurred to me now that maybe cmake is the way to go?

If you use the installer package version of GHC

GMP will automatically be linked statically.  As far as creating app
bundles, one way is to use xcode to to create the bundle structure and
then have it call a conventional makefile based build system to do the
actual build and install the binaries into the bundle structure.
That's what I did to create the GHC.pkg.  It might require some
fiddling, though.