[Haskell-cafe] Distributing Haskell binaries as OSX App Bundles

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 22:32:14 EDT 2008

> I wrote a command-line program recently for a friend in haskell.
> However, he's far away and not particularly computer literate.  I
> sent him the raw binaries, but they came up with errors about not
> being able to find libgmp stuff.  So then I thought I should
> probably be able to somehow distribute all the stuff together in
> a .app bundle.  However, the only experience I have of doing this
> sort of stuff before is via xcode.  What's the best way to go about
> this?  It just occurred to me now that maybe cmake is the way to go?

If you use the installer package version of GHC

   http://haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.8.3/chakravarty/GHC-6.8.3-i386.pkg

GMP will automatically be linked statically.  As far as creating app
bundles, one way is to use xcode to to create the bundle structure and
then have it call a conventional makefile based build system to do the
actual build and install the binaries into the bundle structure.
That's what I did to create the GHC.pkg.  It might require some
fiddling, though.

Manuel