[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haddock + Hoogle == Javadoc on steroids

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:13:51 EDT 2008

Hi

>> The answer is to add a line similar to:
>>
>> @haddock
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Cabal/latest/doc/html/
>>
>> to the Text file you get out of haddock --hoogle.
>>
>> You can also add an @hackage url, which is treated as the home page of
>> the package.
>
> Aha, I had not detected that at all. Thanks for the tip. Also thanks to you
> and the haddock & hscolour authors for such fine tools.

It's entirely undocumented, and not a great interface - my hope is
that one day cabal will pass some --hoogle-extra flags or something to
haddock, but I've not yet decided how packages should specify where
they live - if you have any suggestions do let me know.

For your example page, its very nice. Perhaps, for the bottom left
Hoogle box, it would be easier if you used the code snipped:

<form action='http://haskell.org/hoogle/' method='get'>
    <input name='hoogle' id='hoogle' type='text' value="" />
    <input id='submit' type='submit' value='Search' />
</form>

That way the interface should look a bit nicer, as you don't need such
a large amount of space for a search box and you can format it the way
you want.

Thanks

Neil