[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Sep 29 07:38:37 EDT 2008

"Bit Connor" <bit at mutantlemon.com> writes:

> I believe that it's wrong to use a license to try to enforce such
> cooperation. Look what happened with KHTML when Apple started using
> it for their Safari web browser.

I haven't followed this in detail, but I think that, even when a
company is reluctant to cooporate, it is better to have their code
available than not.

Also, using the LGPL rather than BSD is a clear signal that
contributions are expected for the library, BSD condones making
proprietary forks.

> The FSF advises only to use LGPL in rare cases as a tactic to ensure
> greater freedom further down the line.

They advise to use GPL instead, as a crowbar to force any applications
using the library to be GPL as well.

-k