[Haskell-cafe] Re: (A little humour)

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Sep 26 16:10:07 EDT 2008

Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:

> Miguel Mitrofanov <miguelimo38 at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> > I think you might be interested in
> > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/whitespace98.pdf
> >
> "Instead, it was decided to by default limit identifiers to a single
> character"
>
> The Wisdom of it! Preparing C++ programmers for Haskell's limitation!

(In the category haha-only-serious, make does nearly exactly what the
paper suggests:

$f = bar

$foo -> baroo
$(foo) -> bar

I never noticed its genius until I tried out omake, where a bit of
hacking gives you enough opportunities to use one-character
variables/functions in narrow scopes)

performance and/or broadcasting of this signature prohibited.