[Haskell-cafe] Kind-of-off-Topic: Random thoughts on language design

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto RafaelGCPP.Linux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:30:25 EDT 2008

Hi all,

     TGIF! And since it is friday, I started thinking on some alternatives
to program PIC processors...

      I don't know how many of you are familiar with the PIC family of
microcontrollers <http://www.microchip.com/>. They are RISC controllers with
a wide range of complexity, starting on 8-bit and up to 32-bit, but the
architecture is basically the same:

   - RISC
   - Register based (from 20-16k general purpose registers)
   - Limited hardware call stack.

      While studying Haskell, the functional bug bit me and I realized that
this architecture is somewhat not well suited for traditional compilers. I
suddenly started thinking on how one could implement some kind of
declarative language that could easy the programming of those beasts.

      One of the approaches I thought was to use a block based programming
(like Simulink), defining "atomic" operations that would be wired together.

      Do you think a compiler for this "block language" could this be
implemented in Haskell? What about using the Arrow monads?

      Best Regards

--
Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto
Electronic Engineer, MSc.