[Haskell-cafe] Doing something constructive. [Was: Climbing up the shootout...]

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Sep 25 00:26:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

>> Twisted (a Python asynchronous framework) is a confortable environment,
>> but I feel concurrent Haskell is superior.
>
> Should be a lot faster, given there's compiled native code, and no
> global locks.

The concurrent Haskell programming model is vastly nicer. Twisted is
entirely event-driven, so it's nearly as far from a comfortable
environment as you might hope to stretch. I can't speak to their
respective performance strengths. However, I've done quite a bit of
concurrent networking with lightweight coroutines in Python
(greenlet), and its performance is nothing to write home about.