[Haskell-cafe] Line noise

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Sep 23 22:37:26 EDT 2008

Brian Hurt wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, wren ng thornton wrote:
>
> > Even with functionalists ---of the OCaml and SML ilk--- this use of
> > spaces can be confusing if noone explains that function application
> > binds tighter than all operators.
>
> Bwuh?  Ocaml programmers certainly know that application binds tighter
> than operators.  And as:

Not being of either ilk, perhaps I mis-relayed the confusions of a
friend recently converted to Haskell :)

The issue I was raising had not so much to do with un/currying of
functions but rather whether something like "foo bar %^& baz" means
"(foo bar) %^& baz" or "foo (bar %^& baz)".

I believe this was voiced as an SML issue more than an OCaml issue,
though honestly I don't know enough of the differences to distinguish
them. Before I mentioned that function/prefix application always binds
tighter than operator/infix application, he was using many redundant
parentheses, thanks to defensive programming against whichever dialect
was at fault.

--
Live well,
~wren