[Haskell-cafe] Climbing up the shootout...

Donnie Jones donnie at darthik.com
Mon Sep 22 18:53:17 EDT 2008

Hello Bulat,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Bulat Ziganshin
<bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Graham,
>
> >> i don't think that these 3 libs allows to write high-level
> >> high-performance code in *most* cases. just for example, try to write wc
> >> without using "words".
>
> > To a newbie, that's a cryptic statement. Are you saying that these
> > libs aren't needed to make a high-performance "wc", and that the
> > Prelude functions are sufficient? (I note too that there is
> > Data.ByteString.Char8.words, but I assume you are talking about the
> > Prelude function.)
>
> i mean that naive haskell code is very slow and 3 or 5 or twelve libs
> can't solve the problem of ghc generating slow code

I'm fairly new to Haskell and the Haskell community, but I can say from my
experience of hacking on GHC, the GHC team of developers are very interested
in performance improvements, e.g. this thread is about performance!  So
Bulat, why don't you hack on GHC yourself and help improve the compiler?  Or
suggest detailed improvements since you seem capable of citing specific
examples?

Thank you.
__
Donnie