[Haskell-cafe] Re: Line noise

Mauricio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 09:07:40 EDT 2008

 > I hang out on another forum that is populated by
 > various kinds of computer geeks. There's a fair
 > few programmers in there, as well as nerds of
 > every degree. And yet, every time I post
 > anything written in Haskell, everybody complains
 > that it "looks like line noise".  (...)

I have to say we haskellers are guilt of that
too. Many messages in this list says C looks line
noise.

There are many arguments we can use to say Haskell
is better than other languages. The only one I
take seriously is: it fits our way of
thinking. Other people like to think in other
ways. I'm an engineer, and the only way I can deal
with engineering is through abstract math. Many
engineers better than me refuse to use math at
all.

I see so many people advocating Haskell and
functional programming. I would like to sugest:
why don't we advocate against "monocultures"? An
environment where anyone can use whatever language
they like is so easy to get this days, and would
have far better results.

IMHO. Best,
Maurício