[Haskell-cafe] Parsing arguments and reading configuration

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Sep 21 17:21:21 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Sterling Clover <s.clover at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alternately, just go with a map initially with default values. Then parse
> the command line args into a second map (especially if they're all of a
> format like -argname argvalue). Then lookup your args file with the command
> line map, and failing that the default map. Then read the args file and
> finally merge all three maps in the proper order. No need for monoid
> instances, special data types or any of that, so at a little cost in
> elegance a much more succinct way to get what you want. As a final step, you
> can always project the map values into a record type, to get some safety for
> the rest of your program. The entire process, aside from creating the
> record, should probably be no more than four or so lines.

Yes, that's the direction I'll end up going in, I think.  The idea
with the monoid was nice, but I couldn't really turn it into a usable
idea in my head, since the whole idea with an entity turns out to be
somewhat strange.  At least in the way I look at arguments.  However,
the idea of using a product to "merge" to configurations is
interesting and I think I might explore it more when I find the time.
(So far I've only identified that I probably will have use for
template haskell once I decide to play more with it.)

Thanks for the help and suggestions offered on the list.

/M

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org Jabber: magnus@therning.org