[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and HaXml situation

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 18:20:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 15:32 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We've got a bit of a problem in the community regarding HaXml.  This has
> been brought up before, but never definitively resolved, and it's
> causing more and more trouble.
>
> Over at the HaXml homepage [1], it is stated that 1.13.3 is the most
> recent stable version of HaXml.  I believe that Malcolm Wallace, HaXml
> maintainer, has confirmed this.
>
> Over at the HaXml hackage page [2], it would appear as if 1.19.4 is the
> most recent stable version of HaXml.  There is no provision made to mark
> some versions as unstable, and to make 1.13.3 the default version
> downloaded from Hackage.

But there should be. I have a plan and I intend to implement it.

Basically for each package we have an optional suggested version
constraint. This would be used in the hackage website to direct people
to the 'current' version but most importantly it'd be used by
cabal-install and other cabal -> native package conversion tools. It
wold be editable on the hackage website by the package author/maintainer
and probably other people with the role of managing the hackage
collection.

Cases like HaXml-1.13 -> 1.19 (or a future stable version) or old-time
-> time are also things that the platform might be able to help with in
future by managing the transition in a more coherent way rather than
what we have now where the transition is rather hap-hazard with half
using one and half the other.

Duncan