[Haskell-cafe] ANN: pandoc 1.0.0.1

Alfonso Acosta alfonso.acosta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 23:18:44 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 3:29 AM, John MacFarlane <jgm at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Some highlights of this release:
>
> + New GNU Texinfo writer (contributed by Peter Wang)
> + New OpenDocument XML writer (contributed by Andrea Rossato)
> + New ODT (OpenOffice document) writer
> + New MediaWiki markup writer

I can't wait for a:

+ New Docbook markup reader

The reason being, I would kill for a good Docbook-to-LaTeX translator
(or a good set of Docbook-to-TeXML XSLT stylesheets):

 * Most of the opensource XSL-FO tools out there (fop, xmlroff et all)
are immature or do a poor typesetting job [1].

 * The other LaTeX-based solutions seem to be broken and/or
unmaintained (http://db2latex.sourceforge.net,
http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/ ...)

A good post on the topic:

http://uucode.com/blog/2007/02/23/general-questions-about-docbook-latex/

[1] I wanted to show how bad the PDF version of the GHC manual looks
(at least the one generated by fop), but all the PDF links from GHC's
page seem to be broken at the moment.