[Haskell-cafe] Re: Float instance of 'read'

Mauricio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 17:16:46 EDT 2008

 >>> Do you think 'read' (actually, 'readsPrec'?)
 >>> could be made to also read the international
 >>> convention (ie., read "1,5" would also work
 >>> besides read "1.5")?

(...)

 > IMAO, it's bloody well stupid to use commas for
 > either the decimal separator or the thousands
 > separator, as it has a well established role in
 > separating the items in a list that conflicts
 > with this. (...)

After 10 years of professional experience, I'm
getting used to the fact that almost every time
someone says my idea is stupid I'm going in the
right direction.  Linux, firefox… And know
everybody in the office uses nothing else. "It's
stupid to use anything but Java, that's what the
whole world is using", and here I am writing
software in Haskell.

Really, no troll intended. This is an open source
world, I'll try my own Read and Show classes. If
others like it, great, if not, I was wrong in the
first place :)

Best! Thanks for your attention,
Maurício