[Haskell-cafe] Semantic Domain, Function, and denotational model.....

Greg Meredith lgreg.meredith at biosimilarity.com
Wed Sep 17 15:22:54 EDT 2008

Daryoush,

The two chapters in the Handbook of Logic in Computer Science -- especially
the one <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/%7Eaxj/pub/papers/handy1.pdf> by Abramsky
and Jung -- are good.  i noticed that Lloyd Allison wrote a book on
practical denotational semantics. i've never read it, but i was intrigued by
his work using minimal message length as the basis for a generic framework
in Haskell for machine-learning models. He might have something useful to
say.

It is difficult to judge what would be a good book for you, however, because
i don't know if you what your aim is. Do you want context, history and
mathematical foundations or a quick way to understanding enough FP-speak to
write better commercial code? As i said, a lot of people loosely speak of
the *target* of some compositionally defined function (usually based on some
structural recursion) that preserves some operational notion of equality as
the denotation. This is almost certainly what is going on in the references
you cited early. You can kind of leave it at that.

On the other hand, if you wish to go deeper, the study of the meaning of
programs is highly rewarding and will change the way you think. One
particularly fruitful place is games semantics. Guy McCusker's PhD thesis
might be a way in. Abramsky and Jagadeesan's papers might be a way in. As i
said before, the places where denotational and operational semantics have
had to rub elbows has been useful to both approaches. One of the hands down
best characterizations of the relationship of the logical and operational
view of computation is Abramsky's Computational Interpretations of Linear
Logic <http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/samson.abramsky/cill.ps.gz>. In
this paper Samson repeats the same process 3 times --

   1. specifies a logic by giving syntax for formulae and proof rules
   2. derives a term language (syntax of programs) and operational semantics
   that is sound w.r.t a type system given by the logical formulae
   3. derives a virtual machine for the term language
   4. refines the logic by an analysis of where the logic fails to capture
   our intuitions about resources -- looping back to step 1

The starting point is Intuitionistic Logic which yields the core of a
standard functional language. The next iteration is Intuitionistic Linear
Logic, which yields a linear FPL. The next iteration is Classical Linear
Logic which yields a concurrent language. Following the development of this
process will clarify the relationships between the logical and operational
view -- which ultimately bear on reasonable interpretations of denotational
interpretations.

If you make the step to say that the denotation must be the completely
unfolded structure -- the tree of reductions, the collection of possible
plays, etc -- then there are ways to see how these views logical,
operational and denotational are all calculable from one another -- and why
you might want to have all of them in any complete account of computation.

Best wishes,

--greg