[Haskell-cafe] Predicativity?

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 02:34:05 EDT 2008

Here is another example that doesn't compile under current GHC directly:

> f = (runST .)

ghci reports the type of f as
   (a1 -> forall s. ST s a) -> a1 -> a

But (f return) doesn't typecheck, even though the type of return is

> return :: forall a s. a -> ST s a

Oddly, this does typecheck if we eta-expand return:

ghci> :t f (\x -> return x)
f (\x -> return x) :: forall a1. a1 -> a1

Perhaps the typechecker doesn't realize that since s is not free on
the lhs of the -> in return, that the two types are equivalent?

  -- ryan