[Haskell-cafe] Re: Should `(flip (^^))` work?

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:51:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Mauricio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rafael C. de Almeida a écrit :
>>
>> Derek Elkins wrote:

>>> No it shouldn't work.  The fact that the opening and closing marks are
>>> the same suggests that it shouldn't.  You can fake it though.
>>>
>>> x -| f = f x
>>> f |- x = f x
>>>
>>> 2 -| flip (^^) |- (3%4)
>>>

>> Isn't naming the expression 'flip (^^)' much clearer?
>
> I think that is an interesting question
> about programming style. In practical
> code I think we should have a balance
> between the complexity of big expressions
> and the complexity of too many names.

Hm, I was suggesting a local name in a where or let clause. In my
experience, if there are too many local names it's evidence that you
should break up the function into other functions.

But what I'm saying is that I'd rather read something like: 2
`flippedPow` (3%4) then just check what flippedPow is on the where
clause than reading 2 -| flip (^^) |- (3%4) and having to figure out
what -| and |- do.