[Haskell-cafe] static linking failure -- can't find crt0

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 03:22:22 EDT 2008

  I'm building a "really static" executable on OS X with options
  `-optl-static -static` and, while the libraries seem to link
  fine, the executable itself does not -- it can't find the C
  runtime.

  This is actually by design -- Apple "does not support" static
  binaries. There is a work around -- just symlink stuff till
  the errors go away -- but it might be better if I could
  statically link only those C libraries that I knew were not on
  stock Macs. Are there GHC options for that?

  I assume this all works fine on Linux and Windows, but I'll
  know soon enough...

--
_jsn

 |...can't find the C runtime.|
  ld_classic: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

 |"does not support"|
  http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1118.html