[Haskell-cafe] Re: Windows details

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Thu Sep 11 18:30:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:24:24 +0100, you wrote:

>XN Resource Editor makes adding an icon child's play. (Interestingly,
>this also becomes the default window icon without any further action,
>which is nice.)

That's how Windows works: If an EXE contains at least one icon, then the
first icon is used by default.

>However, either XN nor Resource Hack are able to embedd correct version
>info.

The VERSIONINFO resource is actually rather complicated internally. In
particular, the value that we think of as the version number (e.g.,
1.2.3.456) is stored in two different formats (binary integer and
string) in at least four different places, depending on how many
languages are supported in the resource (file version as integer,
product version as integer, and one each of file version as string and
product version as string for each language). I don't recall offhand
which one of these is what you see reported in the Properties dialog,
but it's quite possible that you're setting the value of the "wrong"
one, and that's why you're not seeing what you expect.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/