[Haskell-cafe] Haskell as a scripting language.

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:36:07 EDT 2008

2008/9/10 David F. Place <d at vidplace.com>:
> Hi, All.
> I needed to make a batch of edits to some input files after a big change
> in my program.  Normally, one would choose some scripting language, but
> I can't bear to program in them.   The nasty thing about using Haskell
> is that giving regexes as string constants sometime requires two levels
> of quoting.  For instance. (mkRegex "\\\\\\\\") matches \\.

Since some times in the HEAD and in the future 6.10 release, you can
use quasiquoting to get nice regex syntax as in Perl or Ruby.

(quasiquoting basically allows you to embed a DSL with significantly
different syntax in your Haskell and still get typechecking and other
advantages at compile-time (though I imagine the errors won't be very